Nutty Oatmeal Jam Bars
Base and Topping
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats (certified gluten free if you are GF)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid OR 1/2 cup vegan buttery spread stick, cut into cubes
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 heaping cup berries - one kind or mixed combo
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease an 8x8 glass baking dish.
- Grind 1 cup oats in blender or food processor to make oat flour
- Add oat flour, 1/2 cup oats, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder to bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add coconut oil or vegan spread to bowl. Use your fingers to cut the fat into the flour mixture, making a raggedy dough.
- Add egg yolk, mix until combined.
- Add almonds, mix until cohesive.
- Press half the oatmeal mixture into bottom of baking dish, evenly coating it and going slightly up the sides. Make sure to patch any holes.
- Bake crust for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly while you make jam, keeping oven on.
- Add berries and maple syrup to small saucepan and bring to boil on medium heat.
- Boil 5-10 minutes, just until thick and syrupy.
- Remove from heat, add chia seeds, and let sit until thick and set, about 5 minutes. (if it does not set like jam, you may need to heat a bit longer)
- Once set, spread jam evenly on crust. An offset spatula works great for this.
- Crumble remaining crust mixture on top, trying to evenly cover jam, but a few small empty spots are ok too.
- Return to oven and bake another 25 minutes or until lightly browned on top. Cool and cut into bars.